KARACHI: Warring factions in Lyari kept police commandos engaged for a third consecutive day as heavy gun fire from both sides, use of hand grenades, rockets and steel plated bullets has compelled the residents to move to safer locations.
At least 19 people including a SHO and a police constable have been killed in three days of violence while unruly gangsters showered an armored vehicle with bullets and hand grenades rendering it useless.
The residents of the affected area of Lyari have started moving out from the area because of nerve-wracking sound of gunfire, electricity load shedding and a scarcity of food and clean water.
Meanwhile, parts of Lyari continue to remain volatile till today as intermittent firing incidents were being reported.
The police in coordination with FC had launched an operation against the criminal elements of Lyari on Friday that resulted into violent clashes between the forces and the miscreants.
SSP CID Aslam Chaudhry has declared a ‘red alert’ in Lyari.
The police faced stiff resistance as armed men have adopted guerilla tactics complimented by a web of well connected, narrow streets.
A Senior House Officer (SHO) Civil Lines and a police constable were shot dead yesterday. The pitched battles between heavily armed men and personnel of the Anti-Extremism Cell (AEC) have so far claimed 19 lives in three days.
Latest reports indicate renewed violence in Afshani Street, Cheel chowk, Karli and a rocket attack in Lyari.
SSP CID while talking to newsmen said that a grand operation would soon be underway to flush out miscreants and neutralize the area.
Around 500 Frontier Constabulary (FC) men and 2500 policemen are taking part in the operation against Lyari gangs.
- NICL scam: NAB decides to move against former PM GilaniISLAMABAD: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has decided to move against former prime minister
- One dead, four injured in Quetta violenceQUETTA: At least one person was killed and four others injured on Wednesday in a firing incident in Liaquat
- Iftikhar Chaudhry bids farewell, expresses confidence in JillaniISLAMABAD: Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry marked the end of his term on Wednesday with a speech
- Pakistan after winning the toss decide to bowl firstDUBAI: Pakistan has won the toss in first T-20 match against Sri Lanka and decided to bowl first.
- COAS Raheel Sharif arrives in Quetta on two-day official visitQUETTA: Army Chief General Raheel Sharif has arrived in Quetta on a two day official visit. On arrival
- Afghanistan cricket team to tour Zimbabwe next monthKABUL: Afghanistan will travel to Zimbabwe next month, an official said on Wednesday, marking the fast-improving
- CIA agent Dr Shakil Afridi’s lawyer flees after threatsPESHAWAR: The lawyer for the CIA agent Dr Shakil Afridi, who helped the United States track down Osama
- Karachi police detain six alleged target killersKARACHI: Karachi South Zone Police on Wednesday arrested five criminals allegedly involved in the incidents
- Dar expresses satisfaction over economy’s progressISLAMABAD: Finance Minister Ishaq Dar has said the economy is moving on the right track with 5% GDP growth
- PTI condemns forcible breaking down of Anarkali ChurchISLAMABAD: On behalf of PTI, Central Information Secretary Shireen Mazari today condemned the forcible
- Legal team formed in Musharraf treason caseISLAMABAD: A ten-member legal team for the complainant was formed in treason case against former president
- Pakistan, India need to jointly address challenges: RaghavanISLAMABAD: India and Pakistan face similar challenges and there is need to jointly address them. This
- Media snooker tournment begins in IslamabadISLAMABAD: President Islamabad Billiards and Snooker Association (IBSA) Dr. Shahzad Waseem said that
- MoU signed between Pakistani and Sudanese Political Leadership ISLAMABAD: Secretary General of Pakistan Muslim League Senator Mushahid Hussain Sayed has called to address
- Tribute paid to prominent short story writer Aslam Siraj-ud-DinISLAMABAD: History of modern short story writing cannot be completed without mentioning Aslam Siraj Uddin.