50 students injured by Indian army’s tear gas shelling in held Kashmir


SRINAGAR: More than 50 students were injured when Indian army used tear gas shells to disperse them during a protest in occupied Kashmir.
The protesters were rallying against yesterday’s Pulwama incident where dozens of Degree College students were injured from Indian army’s shelling.
According to Kashmir Media Service (KMS), Indian police had established a checkpoint near the college which irritated the students.
The students were subjected to ruthless torture in joint action by Indian police paramilitary forces as the armed personnel entered the college and attacked them with gun butts.
Zeeshan Butt, a student of the college, is admitted in the critical care unit of SMHS hospital in Srinagar. He said that he was inside a classroom when the troops caught hold of him.
“I was not hit by a teargas shell. They caught hold of me inside the classroom and started beating me with gun butts. I lost conciseness when they hit me on the head,” Zeeshan told media as quoted by KMS.
Maqbool Ahmad, a relative of Zeeshan, said that Zeeshan is not able to hear and understand properly since his injury. “He has just regained consciousness. He is still unable to hear or understand properly. His classmates told us that he was hit with gun butts,” said Maqbool.
Rayees Ahmad, a third-semester arts student at the college, has received pellets in his right eye, his face, and other body parts. He cannot see from his right eye and is admitted at SMHS hospital. He said he was in the courtyard of the college when the troops shot him with pellets.
“There was nothing going on inside the campus. The troops came from the back of the campus and started beating students. I was in the courtyard when they shot straight at me,” said Rayees.
Another student admitted at SKIMS Soura was hit with a teargas canister on his face. He has been kept under observation in the ICU of the hospital.
An eyewitness of the incident told media that the forces had laid a cordon outside the college with the intention of arresting students at about 2:30pm. The students resisted the cordon and they were attacked.
“They fired without any provocation. Teargas shells and pellets were shot at the students. We saw shelling inside the college and students being beaten there,” the eyewitness said, requesting anonymity.
The army has surrounded at least three educational institutions including a women college.
The puppet government has placed heavy contingent of security personnel on the entry and exit points of the colleges.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here