LAHORE: District Coordination Officer (DCO) Lahore, Muhammad Usman announced early morning of Tuesday that the rescue and search operation has been completed at the factory collapse site.
Addressing a press conference here, the DCO Lahore said a total of 103 people were pulled out alive and 45 dead from the debris in what he said the biggest rescue operation of its kind ever undertaken in the country.
He said Pak army extended all out help by coming on the ‘front foot’ towards carrying out the colossal rescue operation in which he said 309 vehicles were used.
Muhammad Usman said 17,500 matric tonnes of debris was removed from the site of the collapse in the operation that continued for 131 hours.
To a question, he said action will be taken against those responsible for the tragic incident.
Director General rescue operation, speaking on the occasion, said the focus of the effort was to pull out as many people alive as possible.
However, he said that now there were hardly any signs of anyone’s being still alive under the debris.
The four-storey Rajput Polyester factory which manufactured polythene shopping bags came down suddenly six days ago killing dozens and trapping scores others.
Injured survivors said the factory’s owner, who was adding a new floor to the building, had ignored an advice from his contractor and pleas from his workers to stop construction after cracks appeared in the walls following a powerful earthquake last week.