RAWALPINDI: At least two civilians were killed and five others were wounded as Indian artillery and mortar guns continued to pound civilian population in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) on Saturday, Waleed Anwar, assistant commissioner of Nakyal informed.
The assistant commissioner said that casualties occurred in different villages of Nakyal sector in Kotli district, which were targeted by Indian troops from across the restive Line of Control (LoC) throughout the preceding night and during the day.
The area received shelling for most part of the night, but it was most “intense and indiscriminate” from 11:30am to 1:30pm, he said.
Anwar said one man was wounded past midnight, while a man and a woman were killed and four others were injured during the day. “The shelling is continuing at the moment, though intermittently,” he added.
Due to the diminution in severity of shelling, he said, people had started evacuating the victims to the nearest health facilities.
“I have been told that three of the injured persons are critical and being transferred to the District Headquarters (DHQ) Hospital, [Kotli],” Anwar said.
He feared that the number of casualties could increase as reports from many highly vulnerable areas were yet to be collected.
Meanwhile, Associated Press reported that Indian police claimed two civilians and a soldier were killed by Pakistani shelling across the LoC.
Earlier on Friday, a man was killed and a minor girl wounded in AJK’s Bhimber district along the LoC.