LAHORE – The National Security Committee meeting became a fresh flashpoint between political rivals. The ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) strongly criticized Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) for boycotting the high-level security meeting. The party accused PTI of aligning with anti-state forces. The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) also condemned the Imran Khan-led party. PPP said PTI was using national security committee meeting matters as a tool for political blackmail. The party linked PTI’s absence to its frustration over Imran Khan’s imprisonment. PML-N Information Secretary Marriyum Aurangzeb held a press conference. She slammed PTI for avoiding the national security committee meeting. She said…
Author: Web Desk
KARACHI – The Imran Khan imprisonment issue was raised once again, but the United States has chosen to stay silent. The US State Department has refused to make a direct statement on the former prime minister’s incarceration. During a press briefing on Wednesday, spokesperson Tammy Bruce was asked about Imran Khan imprisonment. However, she declined to respond clearly. She said she would not comment on “the internal frameworks of another country.” A Pakistani journalist asked if US President Donald Trump would take any action on Imran Khan imprisonment. The journalist described Khan as the most popular leader with the majority…
JEDDAH – Pakistan-Saudi Arabia relations have gained new momentum as Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif met Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman. The two leaders discussed ways to boost ties and expand cooperation across multiple sectors. “We had a most productive discussion on ways to further strengthen Pakistan-Saudi Arabia relations in trade, investment, energy, and security,” said PM Shehbaz. He shared these remarks on X after the meeting held on Thursday. Chief of Army Staff General Asim Munir, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar, and Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz also attended the high-level meeting. The…
The state of press freedom in Afghanistan has worsened drastically since the Taliban seized control. Journalists are now dealing with growing threats, harsh censorship, and acts of violence. A recent report by the Afghanistan Journalists Center (AFJC) paints a grim picture. Violations against media workers have jumped by 24 percent under the Taliban regime. The figures highlight the rising danger to free media. Since March 2024, there have been 181 violations recorded against journalists. Out of these, 131 involved threats. The remaining 50 cases led to arrests. In over 22 incidents, media outlets were either suspended or completely shut down.…
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is expected to announce a significant electricity tariff reduction of Rs8 per unit on March 23. The relief plan has received a green signal from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), according to government sources. The new power tariff relief will come into effect on April 1, 2025. Consumers will see reduced electricity bills starting from May. Out of the total Rs8 per unit cut, Rs4.73 per unit will be a permanent reduction. Officials explained that this electricity tariff reduction became possible after several major changes. The government terminated agreements with six Independent Power Producers…
The Torkham border reopening has been officially confirmed for today (Wednesday), bringing relief after a 25-day closure. The crossing, a key trade and travel route between Pakistan and Afghanistan, had been sealed since February 21. The closure came after Afghan forces began building structures inside Pakistani territory, triggering a sharp rise in tensions. After several rounds of negotiations, both countries have now reached an agreement. Authorities confirmed that trade at the Torkham border crossing will resume today. The reopening follows successful talks between the two sides, ensuring a return to stability and normal operations. Syed Jawad Hussain Kazmi, head of…
Quetta: Security concerns in Balochistan have forced major universities to shut their campuses indefinitely. The University of Balochistan announced on Tuesday that all academic activities will now take place online. The administration did not give a reopening date. Sardar Bahadur Khan Women’s University has already switched to virtual classes. Female students are now attending lectures online due to the rising threat levels in the province. Similarly, the Balochistan University of Information Technology, Engineering and Management Sciences (BUITEMS) has also suspended all physical classes. According to the university, online classes will continue until Eid-ul-Fitr. BUITEMS has also stopped its transportation services…
Terrorism in Pakistan continues to claim innocent lives, especially in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan. Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Asim Munir has blamed the country’s “soft state” status for the growing wave of attacks. He raised a hard-hitting question — “How long will the armed forces fill the gaps of governance with the blood of martyrs?” During a high-level in-camera meeting of the Parliamentary Committee on National Security, COAS Munir urged the need for better governance. “We must turn Pakistan into a hard state,” he stressed. The session took place amid the rising threat of terrorism in Pakistan. However,…
Three militants were killed in an intelligence-based operation (IBO) in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Khyber district, the military confirmed on Monday. The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) issued a statement saying that the operation was launched in the Tor Darra area of Khyber on the reported presence of terrorists. Security personnel launched a swift response. They effectively targeted the hideout of the militants. As a result, three terrorists were neutralized on the spot. According to ISPR, weapons and ammunition were recovered from the dead assailants. The armed men were involved in multiple terror attacks across the region. Their activities had caused serious unrest…
New Zealand’s openers unleashed a stunning six-hitting display on Tuesday to crush Pakistan by five wickets and tighten their grip on the ongoing T20 series. The hosts chased down the 136-run target with 11 balls remaining in Dunedin, securing a 2-0 lead in the five-match T20 series. Pakistan had earlier posted 135 for 9 in 15 overs. The second match was shortened due to rain, but New Zealand didn’t let the conditions slow them down. Tim Seifert and Finn Allen set the tone with a brutal opening stand. Out of the first eight scoring shots, seven were towering sixes. It…