Site icon Pashto News and Current Affairs Channel | Khyber News

Govt to Challenge Imran Khan Hospital Transfer Order

Govt to Challenge Imran Khan Hospital Transfer Order

The federal government has announced plans to approach the Supreme Court for a modification of its recent directive concerning the Imran Khan hospital transfer, Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar said on Tuesday. The order in question had instructed authorities to move the incarcerated PTI founder to Shifa International Hospital for a medical evaluation.

Speaking in a video statement, Tarar explained that officials had reviewed the Supreme Court’s ruling and found that certain aspects of it fell outside the scope of matters typically handled by prison authorities and the Islamabad administration.

His comments followed closely on the heels of the court’s directive, which gave Adiala jail officials a two-day window to arrange Khan’s transfer to the private hospital for assessment and treatment.

Khan, 73, has been behind bars since August 2023, following a series of convictions that he and his supporters maintain were politically driven. He has been entangled in numerous legal proceedings since being removed from the prime minister’s office through a no-confidence vote in April 2022.

Why the Government Wants the Order Revisited

Tarar said discussions had already taken place with jail officials and Islamabad’s administration regarding specific elements of the ruling. According to him, the government’s position is that the current order doesn’t align with the legal procedures normally followed for granting medical facilities to convicted prisoners.

“The authorities propose seeking a modification of the order so that Imran could instead undergo a medical assessment at a government hospital,” Tarar said, signaling that the administration intends to push for a public-sector alternative rather than a private one.

The minister also pointed to a broader concern: with numerous other inmates across the country dealing with health issues of their own, treating one prisoner differently could set a complicated precedent.

Under existing law, a medical board is responsible for determining whether an inmate requires treatment inside the jail or needs to be moved elsewhere. When outside treatment is recommended, prisoners are typically sent to a government-run hospital first. “Until evidence is received that government hospitals are unable to provide the required treatment, such arrangements are not made,” Tarar noted.

He warned that the Supreme Court’s directive could open the door to further legal complications, particularly around whether similar treatment would need to be extended to other prisoners in comparable situations. As a result, he said, the government would formally approach the court to seek clarity.

Sanaullah Calls Ruling ‘Based on Merit’

Earlier the same day, Prime Minister’s Adviser on Political and Public Affairs Rana Sanaullah described the Supreme Court’s decision as independent and grounded in merit.

Speaking to reporters outside Parliament House, the PML-N senator noted that PTI had waited a considerable time before pursuing legal channels, suggesting that relief could have come sooner had the party acted earlier. “The PTI placed its case before the right forum, and the decision has come on merit,” he said, while also urging the party to respect judicial outcomes regardless of the result.

Sanaullah reiterated that the prime minister’s offer for dialogue with the opposition has remained on the table for some time, though it has yet to receive a favorable response.

Government Vows to Implement Court’s Decision

Federal Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Tariq Fazal Chaudhry offered assurances separately that the Supreme Court’s ruling would be carried out fully, calling the judiciary’s decision a validation of the government’s overall stance.

Chaudhry said the courts remain the primary avenue through which any party can seek relief, adding that he had observed PTI senators expressing appreciation for the Supreme Court. “The PTI has now become convinced that the courts are delivering justice,” he remarked.

He further stated that the prime minister does not hold the executive power to act against judicial rulings, and repeated that the offer for talks with the opposition remains open and should be given serious consideration.

Exit mobile version