A suicide attacker involved in the deadly assault on a security check post in Bajaur has been identified as an Afghan national, according to security sources, who say the case adds to evidence of cross-border links in recent militant incidents.
Officials said the attacker, who carried out the February 16, 2026 suicide bombing at the Malangi post, was identified as Ahmad, also known as Qari Abdullah Abu Zar, a resident of Balkh province in Afghanistan. Sources claimed he had previously been associated with militant networks operating across the border.
The attack claimed the lives of 11 security personnel and two civilians. Authorities say investigations are ongoing and are examining alleged support structures behind the incident.
Security officials noted that several recent attacks in Pakistan have shown suspected cross-border connections. They referred to past incidents, including a suicide bombing in Islamabad earlier this month, where investigators said the attacker had reportedly received training abroad.
Other incidents cited by officials include attacks on security installations and public facilities in late 2025 and 2024, where suspects were said to have links outside Pakistan. Investigators believe such patterns point to the presence of support networks operating beyond the border.
Analysts say regional cooperation and intelligence sharing remain critical to addressing militancy. They add that eliminating safe havens and improving border management are essential steps toward long-term stability.
Authorities have reiterated their commitment to pursuing all leads and strengthening counter-terrorism efforts to prevent future attacks.

